Planning for an emergency is important. Why? Emergencies can happen anywhere and at any time making you vulnerable. The causes of emergencies are diverse. Meaning, they can be caused by an infectious disease, extreme weather conditions such as hurricanes, terrorism or bank robberies, hunger strike, among others. Nevertheless, emergencies can happen to anyone. Therefore, planning for an emergency is essential as it prepares you for the worst possible conditions. This can range from storing food, water, first aid kits, drugs, fuel, etc. One of the remedies is having an emergency preparedness plan. It is the timely preparation for any emergency situation. What can you add to your plan?
1. Make sure you have all the accessories and equipment in your survival kit or emergency supply kit. In times of disasters, you and your family will need access to food and water. Therefore, ensure that at least a gallon per person per day is available. Nevertheless, stock foods that are easy to prepare or readymade foods. Moreover, some disasters may require access to flashlights so ensure you have the relevant electronics. Healthy and supply kit has to be stocked. Ensure emergency blankets, soap, toothpaste and toothbrush, and other personal care tools are available.
2. Include how you will get to a safety location in case of a disaster. This entails small things that add up. For instance, contact information, among others. You can create a communication plan that will aid in proper communication in case an emergency strikes. Furthermore, copies of insurance cards, a map of the area, among others are also relevant.
3. Always have extra cash and an extra set of car keys you may need them.
4. Include ways in which you and your family might respond to specific types of disasters. This can be done through identifying the probable natural disasters for instance if your area is prone to earthquakes or flood. After identifying, you can now include strategies for the same. You can have floating bags and life jackets stored in your survival kit. Nevertheless, this will help to identify safe spots or locations for each disaster.
5. Install other measures such as heat and smoke detectors in you home in case of a fire outbreak. Furthermore, you can also install fire extinguishers at strategic points in your home. Furthermore, include emergency contacts with your local emergency response teams. Make sure your family members also has the contacts.
6. Your home can also have a basement that has no windows for calamities such as floods. On top of that, include alarms that may alert your family in case of an emergency.
7. Educate your children on possible ways of survival since you cannot be with them all the time. Therefore, the plan should include training for the children and other family members. All survival kits should be placed where they can be easily accessed, and all family members should be aware of the location as well as how to properly use the contents.
Emergency preparedness plan is a sure way of ensuring that you and your family are prepared for an emergency in case of a disaster. The plan can help reduce or mitigate extreme aftermath situations. Also, the plan will reduce fear for you and your family especially the kids. The bottom line is, it is hard to escape disasters, for instance, the natural ones. However, steps can be taken to guarantee reduced losses through adequate preparedness.